7 September 2021
We are offering eight summer scholarships for New- Zealand based undergraduate students, over the summer of 2021-22. Four of these scholarships are funded by Bioprotection Aotearoa and form part of our research programme. Four are aligned, and funded either by Lincoln University or industry.
The research projects cover many aspects of bioprotection. They are:
- Sentinel plants for New Zealand’s unique virus ecosystems
- Identifying genetic barriers to bacteriophage-based biocontrol of plant pathogens
- Understanding the genetic means of P. cinnamomi inducing dieback disease
- Recloaking Papatūānuku: mānuka me te kānuka
- Bracon variation: Different outcomes within the same species
- Modelling stem rust disease in ryegrass cultivars
- Biodiversity, biases and big data
- Jargonauts: is weed science too technical to understand?
This document gives more details about each project, including where it is located.
Applicants must currently be enrolled at a New Zealand Tertiary Institute and either be:
- continuing within Bachelor’s degree
- completing a Bachelor’s degree to be followed by Honours
- completing a Bachelor’s degree to be followed by Masters or PhD
All summer scholars are expected to present their project during a Bioprotection Aotearoa or Lincoln University seminar in February 2022. You can view the seminars given by our 2020-21 summer scholars on our YouTube channel.
Work conditions & finances
Scholars will be expected to work a minimum of 10 weeks, at 37.5 hours per week to be worked between Monday and Friday inclusive, between the hours of 7 am and 9 pm. They will each receive a tax-free stipend of $6000, paid fortnightly payments for the duration of the scholarship, with the final payment of $1000 on receipt of the approved student project report.
How to apply
24 September 2021 Deadline for applications
1 October 2021 Successful applicants notified
Early November 2021 Scholarship research period begins (start date by negotiation)
16 April 2022 Research period ends no later than this date
16 April 2022 Final scholarship report due